A residence permit in Georgia
is required for all individuals who want to stay in the country for more than 90 days and up to six years. A foreign individual who wants to obtain a temporary residence permit
needs to qualify for this purpose and has to fulfill certain requirements.
If you are a foreign investor in Georgia
who also wants to live in the country and run the business from there, our company formation agents in Georgia
can help you submit the necessary documents.
Requirements for obtaining a residence permit in Georgia
Foreigners who want to live in Georgia and not simply visit the country as tourists need to prove that they will be able to sustain themselves during their stay in the country. For this purpose, the following categories of individuals can qualify for a temporary residence permit in the country:
- those who study in Georgia or who are in the country for health treatments;
- those who are the legal guardians or custodians of a Georgian citizen;
- those who are under the guardianship of a Georgian citizen;
- individuals invited in the country as highly qualified specialists;
- artists who are invited in the country for state interest;
- those who are relatives of a Georgia citizen or a foreign individual who already has a Georgian residence permit;
- those whose Georgian citizenship is terminated or are considered victims of human trafficking.
Applying for a residence permit in Georgia
The individual can apply for a residence permit at the Georgian diplomatic mission or consular office in his or her state of residence. The following documents must be submitted with the application:
- passport copy;
- two photos;
- documents attesting legal income;
- if you are already in Georgia when applying - documents that prove the existence of a Georgian visa;
- relevant documents that prove the reason of the stay: employment certificate, official invitation, medical documents for treatments in the country.
Certain fees for residence permits apply. Applications are processed within a term of 30 days. The permit is renewed following the same steps as those for the initial application.